The Federal Road Safety Corps (FRSC) says driving with the aid of Google map is not an offence — contrary to a widely reported statement credited to one of its officers.
Earlier it had been reported on some media platforms that the FCT sector commander of the Federal Road Safety Corps (FRSC), Mr Ayuba Gora on Wednesday said driving with the Google map is a serious traffic offence.
The statement which has long-generated reactions from Nigerians on social media.
Meanwhile, Bisi Kazeem, spokesman of the corps, said driving with the aid of Google map is not an offence — contrary to a widely reported statement credited to the FCT Sector boss, this was contained in a new statement issued on Thursday while reacting to a report by NAN which quoted Ayuba Gora, FRSC sector commander for the FCT, as saying the use of Google map while driving is outlawed.
He said though driving with the aid of Google map is not prohibited, deploying the app while a vehicle is in motion could cause accidents.
He said many road traffic accidents are a result of distraction caused by the use of mobile phones while driving.
“To state the obvious, we have always enlightened the public on the position of the law on use of phone while driving which the Sector Commander tried to emphasize during the flag off,” he said.
“The statement he made during the flag off buttresses the position of the Corps, which is that any driver who intends to deploy the use of Google map while driving must have it set on the phone before embarking on the journey, not while the vehicle is already in motion as this could be dangerous to the driver and other road users, and can lead to road traffic crash.
“We say this because, available records have shown that use of phone for whatever purpose; be it text, voice calls, chats, browsing, setting google map to find location etc while driving could be distractive and can easily lead to loss of concentration. This has led to many road traffic crashes with attendant loss of lives and properties.
“On the strength of this, the Federal Road Safety Corps wishes to reiterate its position on use of phone while driving as a dangerous and hazardous road traffic behaviour which has led to unwanted and avoidable road crashes.
“We therefore call on all motorists who intend to deploy the use of google map on their phone especially during the festive season when traffic density is high, to activate such before setting the vehicle in motion so as to ensure 100 percent concentration on the wheels.”
Governor Udom Emmanuel Loses Father
Akwa Ibom State Governor, Udom Emmanuel has lost his Father, the Late Elder Gabriel Emmanuel Nkanang.
The sad event occurred on Sunday, December 1st 2019. He was aged Ninety (90years.)
According to a family source, after due clearance from the Head of the Family, Pastor Edo Ekim ( the Father of the celebrity Nollywood actress, Ini Edo) , the first Son of the departed Patriarch, Mr. Gabriel Nkanang (Jr.) was authorized to make public the demise of the late Patriarch.
Burial arrangement according to family sources will be announced in due course.
Amaechi Targets April 2020 For Completion Of Lagos-Ibadan Railway
…..Insists on November ending for test run.
Minister of Transportation Rt.Hon. Chibuike Rotimi Amaechi has stated that the Lagos-Ibadan Railway project will be completed in April 2020.
This is even as he reassured that test-run of the train would commence by the end of November 2019.
Amaechi reiterated that with the pace at which Contractors are currently working, he was optimistic that the completion period will be achieved.
The Minister gave the hint Saturday shortly after inspecting the project site in Ibadan, the Oyo State Capital.
He said, ” We are no longer giving ourselves the time, the Contractors are the ones giving us time. By April next year we will be out of this place. There is huge improvement compared to the last time we were here. The Contractors have assured us that by the 20th of December this year, the laying of tracks would have gotten to Ibadan Station. This means that the focus will no longer be on the tracks but on the completion of the Stations, Communication and signalling and once we achieve this it means we are out of Ibadan”, he said.
According to him, “They are eager to complete the Stations but the constraint at the moment is that the equipment have not arrived from China, and our argument is that they should get some things from Nigeria. They are expecting pipes and other things and they requested that we should give them one or two months to complete the stations. They equally wanted to import glasses and doors from China but we have to put pressure on them to buy those glasses and doors in Nigeria in other to quicken the time with which they would install”,he said.
The Minister noted that completion of the Lagos-end of the project was a huge task as construction of new flyovers and over head bridges were progressing steadily.
” It is a big problem. We are dealing with urban renewal. We are building new flyovers, we are also building over head bridges and under passes, we are dealing with pipes and lots more. We pray not to experience these challenges in Ibadan to Kano segment of the project. Don’t forget that there are two contracts here. The first is Ebute-meta to Ibadan, then, I came up with the idea of extending the project to the seaport , which is a bit challenging” .
He added that “They can get up to Ebute-meta in the next one month, but to get there without getting to Apapa seaport would amount to not achieving much because we need to clear the gridlock in Apapa, and to achieve that, we need to get the tracks into the seaport, that way, cargoes will be loaded to wagons and transported up to Ibadan “,