Connect with us

Metro

HATE SPEECH OFFENDERS TO ‘DIE BY HANGING’ AS BILL RESURFACES IN SENATE

Published

on

A Bill to Establish a Commission for the Prohibition of Hate Speeches on Tuesday bounced back in the Senate, Vanguard reports.

The Bill titled, “National Commission for the Prohibition of Hate Speeches (Est, etc) Bill, 2019(SB.154) and sponsored by the Deputy Chief Whip of the Senate, Senator Aliyu Sabi Abdullahi, All Progressives Congress, APC, Niger North was read the first time at Plenary.

In line with the tradition of the Senate, the new bill was introduced by the Senate Leader, Senator Yahaya Abdullahi, APC, Kebbi North and affirmed by the Clerk of the Senate, Nelson Ayewor.

Recall that a similar Bill sponsored last year March by same Senator Abdullahi where the bill stated that any person found guilty of any form of hate speech that results in the death of another person shall die by hanging upon conviction.

Though the bill died on arrival, the Senator has reintroduced the same Bill today. Recall that the former bill also sought the establishment of an ‘Independent National Commission for Hate Speeches’, which shall enforce hate speech laws across the country, ensure the elimination of the menace and advise the Federal Government.

For offences such as harassment on the grounds of ethnicity or racial contempt, a culprit shall be sentenced to “not less than a five-year jail term or a fine of not less than N10 million or both.”

The bill noted that: “A person who uses, publishes, presents, produces, plays, provides, distributes and/or directs the performance of any material, written and/or visual, which is threatening, abusive or insulting or involves the use of threatening, abusive or insulting words or behaviour, commits an offence, if such person intends thereby to stir up ethnic hatred, or having regard to all the circumstances, ethnic hatred is likely to be stirred up against any person or person from such an ethnic group in Nigeria.”

Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Metro

Governor Udom Emmanuel Loses Father

Published

on

Akwa Ibom State Governor, Udom Emmanuel has lost his Father, the Late Elder Gabriel Emmanuel Nkanang.

The sad event occurred on Sunday, December 1st 2019. He was aged Ninety (90years.)

According to a family source, after due clearance from the Head of the Family, Pastor Edo Ekim ( the Father of the celebrity Nollywood actress, Ini Edo) , the first Son of the departed Patriarch, Mr. Gabriel Nkanang (Jr.) was authorized to make public the demise of the late Patriarch.

Burial arrangement according to family sources will be announced in due course.

Continue Reading

Metro

Driving With Google Map Is NOT An Offence-FRSC

Published

on

FRSC

The Federal Road Safety Corps (FRSC) says driving with the aid of Google map is not an offence — contrary to a widely reported statement credited to one of its officers.

Earlier it had been reported on some media platforms that the FCT sector commander of the Federal Road Safety Corps (FRSC), Mr Ayuba Gora on Wednesday said driving with the Google map is a serious traffic offence.

The statement which has long-generated reactions from Nigerians on social media.

Meanwhile, Bisi Kazeem, spokesman of the corps, said driving with the aid of Google map is not an offence — contrary to a widely reported statement credited to the FCT Sector boss, this was contained in a new statement issued on Thursday while reacting to a report by NAN which quoted Ayuba Gora, FRSC sector commander for the FCT, as saying the use of Google map while driving is outlawed.

He said though driving with the aid of Google map is not prohibited, deploying the app while a vehicle is in motion could cause accidents.

He said many road traffic accidents are a result of distraction caused by the use of mobile phones while driving.

“To state the obvious, we have always enlightened the public on the position of the law on use of phone while driving which the Sector Commander tried to emphasize during the flag off,” he said.

“The statement he made during the flag off buttresses the position of the Corps, which is that any driver who intends to deploy the use of Google map while driving must have it set on the phone before embarking on the journey, not while the vehicle is already in motion as this could be dangerous to the driver and other road users, and can lead to road traffic crash.

“We say this because, available records have shown that use of phone for whatever purpose; be it text, voice calls, chats, browsing, setting google map to find location etc while driving could be distractive and can easily lead to loss of concentration. This has led to many road traffic crashes with attendant loss of lives and properties.

“On the strength of this, the Federal Road Safety Corps wishes to reiterate its position on use of phone while driving as a dangerous and hazardous road traffic behaviour which has led to unwanted and avoidable road crashes.

“We therefore call on all motorists who intend to deploy the use of google map on their phone especially during the festive season when traffic density is high, to activate such before setting the vehicle in motion so as to ensure 100 percent concentration on the wheels.”

Continue Reading

News