Connect with us

News

Ondo Election ‘II Be Violence-Free – IGP, INEC

Published

on

The Inspector-General of Police, Mr Abubakar Adamu, has declared that the police would be battle-ready for the Saturday governorship election in Ondo State.

Similarly, the Chairman of the Independent National Electoral Commission, Prof. Mahmud Yakubu, said the commission was ready to conduct free, fair, and credible election, promising that the success recorded in the just-concluded governorship poll would be repeated in Ondo State.

Both the INEC and police chiefs spoke at the INEC’s stakeholders meeting held in Akure, the Ondo State capital on Monday, ahead of the forthcoming election.

The IGP said the police had identified some flashpoints in the state and necessary action had been taken strategically to handle the situation and maintain law and order in those areas.

He specifically disclosed that 16 flashpoints were identified in the state.

The police boss said, “In ensuring the credibility of the process, we have undertaken security threat assessment and all the flashpoints and actors engaged in, or planning to threaten the electoral process in Ondo State have been identified and strategies have been emplaced to frustrate their criminal, unpatriotic and undemocratic intentions.

“In order to mitigate the identified threats, we shall be deploying, aside from our intelligence assets, a total of 33,783 police personnel on election security duty in Ondo State. This will comprise 30,933 conventional police personnel and 2,850 Special Police Units. The police deployment will be complemented by an additional 3,500 manpower that will be drawn from other security agencies. The military will be engaged for the purpose 0f securing the inter-state borders while the Nigeria Police Airwing will provide air surveillance.”

The INEC chairman, who insisted that the preparation for the election was at the peak, also expressed assurance that the Ondo election would be an improvement of the last election in Edo State.

He reiterated that all the candidates of the election and the representative of their political parties would sign peace accord on Tuesday, as part of the efforts to ensure a violence-free poll on Saturday.

Yakubu said, “Our commitment is to ensure that the choice of who becomes the next governor of Ondo State is entirely in the hands of the voters. I wish to assure all eligible voters that every vote will count and only the choice made by the people of Ondo State will determine the outcome of the election.

“I want to assure political parties and candidates that we will remain focused on our processes and procedures. Let me reiterate to all stakeholders that the Commission will not take any action to the advantage or disadvantage of any political party or candidate.”

Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Inmate Who Escaped From Prison in Edo Kills Neighbor Who Testified Against Him

Published

on

Police in Edo state have arrested one of the 1993 inmates who escaped during the jailbreaks at Oko and Benin prisons for killing neighbor who testified against him in court.

Recall that hoodlums broke into the premises of Benin Prison popularly known as White House and freed several inmates in one of the cells.

 Police in Edo state arrested 10 out of the 1,993 inmates of Oko Correctional Centre on Airport Road, Benin and the Benin Correctional Centre on Sapele Road who escaped on October 19 after jailbreaks, immediately returned to crime.

Speaking on the development, the state commissioner of police said “we have commenced actions against the criminal elements. It will interest you to know that 10 of the criminal elements who escaped from Oko Correctional Centre on Airport Road, Benin and the Correctional Centre on Sapele Road, Benin were also arrested.

One of them, after having escaped from Oko correctional centre, ran back to his village on the same day, to kill the person who stood as a prosecution witness in the case that took him to the correctional centre. He has been arrested and he is among the suspects.

“Another group of three escapees from the correctional centre in Benin also went ahead to snatch a Lexus Sport Utility Vehicle (SUV). Three of them met at the correctional centre and they were caught by the police.

A set of two escapees equally stole a Toyota Camry car. They also met at the correctional centre. They were arrested by Okada Division of Edo State Police Command. We have a total of ten escapees.

The guns were also recovered from the criminal elements.”

He assured the people of the state that the police “have the capacity to provide adequate security for their lives and property”

” We are leaving no stone unturned to ensure that there is total safety. Edo residents should go about their lawful businesses without fear of being molested and without fear of criminals coming to wreck violent attacks,” he said

The commissioner also said five AK-47 rifles; two locally-made exhibit guns; one locally-made gun; one Lexus 330 SUV with registration number KWL 205 AZ; one Toyota Camry saloon car with registration number LSD 231 GD; two bags of 50kg and one bag of 25kg rice and 24 crates of assorted drinks were recovered.


Continue Reading

Governance

RSG TO PAY N20MILLION EACH TO FAMILIES OF POLICEMEN, SOLDIERS KILLED BY IPOB

Published

on

Rivers State Governor, Nyesom Ezenwo Wike, has announced N20 Million compensation to the families of each of the soldiers and policemen killed by members of proscribed Indigenous Peoples Organization of Biafra (IPOB) in Oyigbo last week.

In addition, the Governor has promised to rebuild all burnt police stations in Oyigbo and vowed to ensure that the terrorist organisation no longer exist in Rivers State.

Governor Wike stated this during a condolence visit to the Rivers State Commissioner of Police, Joseph Mukan and families of the slain policemen at the Rivers State Police Command on Wednesday.

The governor who was accompanied by the Secretary to the State Government, Dr Tammy Danagogo; the Commissioner of Information, Paulinus Nsirim; and the Attorney General and Commissioner of Justice, Professor Zacchaeus Adangor, described the gruesome murder of the policemen and soldiers as unacceptable and unfortunate.

He stressed that the State Government will support the Police to make sure that all IPOB members who masterminded the killing of the policemen and soldiers, as well as the wanton destruction of Police stations in Oyigbo are apprehended to face the full wrath of the law.

“IPOB masterminded the killing of our gallant officers of the Nigerian Police and Army. We want to state clearly that Rivers State Government will support you to make sure that any of the perpetrators of this hideous crime does not go free. Enough is enough. You cannot continue to kill our policemen who have not done anything; who have not committed any crime” he said.

Emotionally stricken by the presence of the grieving wives and children of the killed policemen, Governor Wike, vowed to ensure that IPOB will no longer exist in any part of Rivers State. According to him, the killing of policemen was one crime that the State government will never condone.

The Governor announced that the State Government has decided to pay the sum of N20 million to each of the families of those killed by IPOB members in Oyigbo.

He further assured the Police Commissioner that the State Government will rebuild all the police stations torched by IPOB, and provide necessary support to policemen whose residence were vandalised and rendered homeless.

The Commissioner of Police, Joseph Mukan, said the Governor by his decision to commiserate with the Command and the deceased families, has demonstrated he is a compassionate father of the State.

Mukan explained that the Police and the Army have taken over all IPOB stronghold in Oyigbo and will ensure that the group cease to exist anywhere within the State.

The Police Commissioner maintained that the Command will not abdicate its responsibility by ensuring that IPOB which had been declared a terrorist group by the Federal Government in 2017, continue to use Rivers State as launch pad for its terrorist attacks.

KELVIN EBIRI
Special Assistant (Media) to the Governor.
October 28, 2020

Continue Reading

News