Connect with us

News

Twitter gives reasons for deleting Buhari’s ‘cvil war tweet’

Published

on

Twitter has deleted a tweet made by President Muhammadu threatening to deal with ‘people’ who didn’t learn from the Civil War.

The President, on Tuesday evening, tweeted the following;

“Many of those misbehaving today are too young to be aware of the destruction and loss of lives that occurred during the Nigerian Civil War. Those of us in the fields for 30 months, who went through the war, will treat them in the language they understand,”.

The tweet struck a nerve with a section of Nigerians who believe it was a subtle jibe at the Igbo Tribe. Many condemned the tone of the message which referenced the 1967 civil war. Popular website, Peoples Gazzette, revealed that Twitter had to delete the tweet after several users reported the President’s Twitter account.

The President subtly boasted about the role he played alongside other Nigerian military officers in the Nigerian Civil War of 1966-70, during which over three million Igbo civilians were killed, many of them rounded up and shot at close range or starved to death.

As at the time of filing this report, a check on the president’s official account reveals that the Tweet has been removed.

Twitter explained the move by stating that the tweet violated its rules.

“When we determine that a Tweet violated the Twitter Rules, we require the violator to remove it before they can Tweet again. We send an email notification to the violator identifying the Tweet(s) in violation and which policies have been violated.”

Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Governance

Sagbama/Ekeremor Road: Gov Diri happy with contractor’s pace

Published

on

… as contractor completes bridges to Ekeremor main town

His Excellency, Senator Douye Diri, Governor of Bayelsa State is excited at the progress achieved so far on the ongoing construction work at the Sagbama/Ekeremor Road.

The contractor, Setraco, has completed five bridges between Toru-Orua and Isampou communities and at the moment working on the sixth bridge at the entrance of Ekeremor main town.

Governor Diri told newsmen that he was satisfied with the progress that will ensure vehicles drive into Ekeremor main town by next month.

“I’m satisfied with the level of work. The contractors, Setraco are doing a good job and, I think the value of money is commensurate. We are happy and we hope that they will deliver at the agreed time.

I have always said that, at the end of my first tenure, we will drive to Ekeremor town on a tarred road. For now, why we are here today, is for me to see things for myself on a new bridge that was proposed for Ekeremor main Town, and I have also approved the construction of another bridge. We are looking at our Two Years anniversary, and I have also given a task for the tarring to be up to Aleibiri, and let us also stabilise the road down to Ekeremor, so that we can take a drive on our Two Years anniversary to Ekeremor main Town.

We are trying our best in the face of the downturn in the economy. These Senatorial roads are very fundamental to our People. Government is all about the People and so, we have taken them as a priority. This is one, the second is also ongoing. It is the third one that we have challenges, but I believe, this year, we will equally start something. In the first place, it is our People that will use these roads, so, even on the Eastern Senatorial road, Bayelsans will hear from us very soon on the actions the State Government will take”, Gov. Diri stated.

The Governor was accompanied on the tour by member representing Sagbama/Ekeremor Federal Constituency, Dr. Fred Agbedi, Speaker of the State House of Assembly, Rt. Hon. Abraham Ingobere, Hon. Tari Porri representing Ekeremor 1 in the State Assembly, Commissioners and other top government functionaries.

Continue Reading

News

Illegal Refineries: Gov Wike gives 48 hours ultimatum to Council Chairmen

Published

on

Offers two million Naira for each location listed.

In what he described as a war against the illegal refinery operators and their sponsors in Rivers State, Rivers State Governor Nyesom Ezenwo Wike at the Executive Chamber of the Rivers State Government House today met with Chairmen of all Local Government Councils and heads of security agencies in Rivers State.

Governor Wike who gave the Chairmen 48 hours to provide the location and owners of illegal refineries in their LGAs promising to pay N2,000,000 for each location that is named.

Saying leaders owe a duty to protect their people he said “I am not bothered if the Federal Government is supporting us we owe a duty to our people to protect their lives.” He went on to charge the Chairmen to be bold as leadership is a difficult responsibility that sometimes involves taking risks.

Addressing the service Chiefs he said it is unfortunate for the country that security personnel are involved in illegal bunkering .

He cautioned that he wouldn’t accept them sabotaging the health of Rivers people or the country’s economy as he called for the transfer from Rivers State of a Divisional Police Officer (DPO) and NSCDC officer discovered to be complicit in the illegal refinery trade.

Continue Reading

News