Connect with us

News

UN Demands Immediate Release Of Kidnapped Victims of Borno BH Attack, Say Over Over 100 Persons Were Killed

Published

on

The United Nations has said that the gruesome attack against civilians carried out by insurgents in villages near Maiduguri, the State capital has left at least 110 civilians ruthlessly killed and many others were wounded.

The UN Resident Coordinator in Nigeria Mr. Edward Kallon said this in a statement on Sunday.

While condemning the incident, Kallon also called for the immediate release of several persons who were kidnapped.

“We have also received reports that several women may have been kidnapped. I call for their immediate release and return to safety,” the UN Resident Coordinator said.

“The incident is the most violent direct attack against innocent civilians this year. I call for the perpetrators of this heinous and senseless act to be brought to justice.”

Kallon further stated that such direct attacks against innocent civilians, jeopardize the ability for the most vulnerable people to survive the adversity they are facing which the UN is striving to alleviate.

“The entire UN system and the humanitarian community working to provide life-saving and development assistance to the most vulnerable in Borno State is outraged by the incident,” he said.

“It is, unfortunately, one of too many such attacks targeting farmers, fishermen and families who are trying to recover some livelihood opportunity after over a decade of conflict.

“I strongly condemn this attack and any act of violence against innocent civilians and I firmly urge all actors on the ground to respect international laws and humanity.

“Rural communities in Borno State are facing untold hardships. Helping them to farmland and rebuild livelihoods are amongst our priorities and the only way to avoid the looming food crisis in Borno State. They and all other civilians need to be protected and spared from any kind of violence,” the statement added.

It had been reported earlier that about 43 farmers were killed on Saturday morning around Marrabati and Hammayya villages, near Zabarmari in Jere Local Government Area of the state.

The farmers were waylaid on their way to their rice farms which they were harvesting before the surprise attack happened.

Some other farmers were also taken away by the criminals.

News

BREAKING: Obaseki wins again as Court dismisses alleged case of certificate forgery

Published

on

Records of Obaseki's Admission and Graduation are intact in the archives of UI, Registrar Confirms

A Federal High Court in Abuja has dismissed the alleged certificate forgery suit brought against Governor Godwin Obaseki of Edo State by the All Progressives Congress (APC) and one of its members, Edobor Williams.

Justice Ahmed Mohammed, in a judgment a moment ago, held that the plaintiffs failed to prove their claim that Obaseki forged his academic certificates that he submitted to the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) before the last governorship election in the state.

The judge found as lazy, the attitude of the plaintiffs, who did no make any efforts to cross-check from the University of Ibadan (UI) and the West African Examination Council (WAEC), the two institutions that issued the certificates they claimed Obaseki forged.

Details shortly.

Continue Reading

News

Missing 12-Year-Old Girl Found Alive With Her Throat Slit After 5 Days Inside Soakaway In Delta

Published

on

12-year-old Blessing Ineh, who reportedly went missing in Abraka, Ethiope East Local Government Area of Delta, has been found alive inside a soakaway.

It was gathered the the young girl was last seen on New Year Day after she was sent on an errand by her parents.

She was found inside a soakaway located behind her family house on Tuesday, January 5, after a child heard her whimpering and raised an alarm.

According to reports by popular Warri online portal, Warri Aproko, the young girl was abducted by three men, allegedly stabbed on the back and her throat slit before she was dumped in the soakaway.

Her body was found covered in white chalk which seems to suggest that it was a case of attempted ritual murder by suspected internet fraudsters.

The victim is currently receiving treatment in an undisclosed hospital.

Meanwhile, it was further learnt that Blessing revealed that her neighbour identified simply as “General” was one of the men behind the dastardly act.

According to the victim, General was the one who lured and whisked her away in a car. After they were done, the men dumped her inside the soakaway to die.

The suspect is said to have disappeared from the compound since the day the girl went missing.


Continue Reading

News